- You may request the installation of a new printer by following the directions listed on
Data Services for Faculty and Staff page.
As part of these directions, you will be asked to fill out a Printer Request Form and forward
it to the Telecom Admin group. Be sure to indicate on the form that the printer will be used
to print reports from the Internet Native Banner application. The printer requested must have
a Hewlet Packard Jet Direct card.
- To request the conversion of an existing printer to a SunGard Banner Printer, call the
ITU Support Center at (703)993-8870. The printer must have a Hewlet Packard Jet Direct card.
- For existing printers being converted, a Help Desk Call is created by the Support Center
and for new printers a Help Desk Call is created by the Telecom Admin staff. Once created, the
Call entry is forwarded to Desktop Support Services if it is a new printer, or the Help Desk of
origin is unable to obtain the DNS Name of the Printer, otherwise, it will be forwarded to the
Systems Engineering Group. The Call information should include customer name, customer phone
number, contact person, contact person's GMU userid (Mason email), contact person's phone number,
the printer location (building, room number, and jack number), and the type and model of printer.
- If necessary, the Desktop Support Services technician will set up the printer. The Desktop
Support Services Technician collects any necessary information about the setup of the printer and
forwards the ticket to the Systems Engineering Group.
- A Systems Engineer sets up the landscape and portrait printer queues on the database
server with the correct drivers for that type of printer. The banner page for all printers
should be turned off. The names of the printer queues should be the printer queue name
(building and room number) with _l_1 and _p_1 appended. The Systems Engineer group adds the
names of the Ladon printer queues to the Help Desk Call and forwards the Help Desk Call to
the DBA group and calls a DBA to let them know that there is an SunGard Banner printer to be set
- The DBA group enters the printer queue names in SunGard Banner via the GTVPRNT screen for all
database instances. The description field should include the building/room number location of
the printer and whether it is landscape or portrait. The DBA updates the printer table document
with the SunGard Banner printer information from the Help Desk Call and posts the information on
DocuShare - Initiatives/Patriot Project/Banner Documentation/Banner Printers.
- The DBA contacts the printer contact person and sends reports to the printer from the SunGard
Banner application to verify that the printer is printing correctly from all SunGard Banner
- If the printer is not printing correctly from the SunGard Banner application, the DBA works
with the Desktop Support Services person to investigate the printer set up.
- Once the printer has printed correctly the DBA closes the Help Desk Call.